Sunday, October 7, 2007

Porgy Part II

Questions to consider about Porgy DuBose Heyward was a white man looking into Charleston's world of color. Do you think he portrayed that world in Catfish Row with any degree of accuracy?I want to think he did, but I really don't know the history of Catfish Row in the eyes of a black man. Does Heyward romanticze life in Catfish Row?Porgy always seems to be waiting for something. What do you think it is he's waiting for?
What impact does the goat have on Porgy's "philosophy" of begging?
Do you find it difficult to read the Gullah dialect as written by Heyward? Yes, I actually bought a pocket dictionary to carry with me to look up words.What do you think of Heyward's ability to tell a story? Is his writing organized and to the point, or is it sprawling? I did not find Heyward's writing sprawling at all, it was very much to the point. He has a wonderful ability to tell a story, at times I felt like I was right there feeling the emotions of his characters.Do you like this book?I liked the book very much. Once I got into it I felt I really knew the characters and was anxious to find out what was going to happen.

No comments: